Partner, New York
Norton Rose Fulbright
Partner Brian Devine's practice focuses on the representation of financial institutions and borrowers, with a particular emphasis on maritime related assets.
Brian counsels clients in the United States and internationally in areas such as: finance and security arrangements; insolvency matters; mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures; debt and equity offerings; sale and purchase; international commercial transactions and disputes; and corporate governance and structure.
Brian's representative experience in ship finance and corporate matters includes representing international (such as Marshall Islands and Liberian) and domestic financial institutions and vessel owners in the acquisition, finance, registration, enforcement, joint venture, offering and other transactional documents as well as the formation, restructuring and mergers of offshore and domestic entities. He has also handled matters involving international taxation and commercial litigation; general commercial litigation and bankruptcy; and administrative law.
Areas of concentration
- Corporate finance
- Corporate governance and compliance
- Transportation finance
- Project finance
- Counsel to syndicate of banks on a New York law US$760m facility to finance a fleet newly constructed vessel.
- Counsel to US fund in relation to the formation of a joint venture-owning entity and the acquisition and financing of a specialized newly built offshore construction supply vessel.
- Counsel to bank on a New York law US$105 million loan transaction to finance fleet of vessels.
- Counsel to bank on New York law US$35 million loan transaction to finance vessels.
- Counsel to US fund on $100+ million series of vessel financings.
- New York Maritime (NYMAR)
- Director (2010 - present)
- Hellenic American Chamber of Commerce
- Executive VP
- Director (2008 - 2015)
- Annual Joint Shipping Conference with Norwegian American Chamber of Commerce
- Co-Chair (2010 - present)
- Vice President
- Chambers Global, USA: Shipping (Foreign Expert), Chambers & Partners, 2014-2015
- Chambers USA, Nationwide: Transportation: Shipping: Finance, Chambers & Partners, 2013
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, Asset Financing & Leasing, The Legal 500, 2014-2015
- The Irish Legal 100, Irish Voice, 2015
- Who's Who Legal, Transport - Shipping, 2016
- Author, "Rejected! Power To Reject Charterparties In US Bankruptcy," Law360, Oct. 14, 2015
- "REJECTED! The power to reject charterparties in US Bankruptcy proceedings," nortonrosefulbright.com - Shipping newsletter - Legalseas, June 2013
1997 - J.D., University of Houston Law Center
1995 - B.S., Political Science, University of Scranton
1995 - B.A., History, University of Scranton